Jose Mourinho returns to the club where he worked as a translator for Sir Bobby Robson over two decades ago. The Chelsea manager will take his side into match day two of the Uefa champions league at the Estadio Jose Alvalade in Lisbon portugal- his native home. Chelsea will seek to get a good result in this game after a disappointing 1-1 draw with bundesliga side Schalke04 in match day one fixture a fortnight ago. Sporting are no minors in this competition but after a five years absence they will need to start learning the rope fast in the world’s club most prestigious competition. Playing against one of the best club in the competition in the past decade wouldn’t have been Sporting desire but they got to play against the best if they are to make their mark again in this competition.
Both team need to win this match to boost their chances of making it out of the group. Sporting might be playing in front of their 50,095 vociferous fans but it is Chelsea I tip to go home with the maximum three point. So we look at five reason why Chelsea will beat Sporting Lisbon in tonight’s Uefa champions league game.
- Sporting slow start to the season: Sporting Lisbon have started slowly in the Portuguese liga Don Zagres this season. Although undefeated, Sporting find themselves six points behind leaders Benfica having drawn four of their six league games and against a free scoring side as Chelsea its only a matter of time before they start picking the balls out of Rui Patricio’s net.
- Breaking Record: Just as the saying- records are made and to be broken, Chelsea will be looking to break Sporting Lisbon’s impressive 16-home game unbeaten run in European competitions. Sporting have also won their last three home games against English visitors without conceding a goal. These are records Mourinho and his boys will be eager to break when both sides clash tonight. This could serve as a motivation for the players who will be all out to see this record dusted to the trash bin.
- Three points or NOTHING: Chelsea were shocked by bundesliga side Schalke04 in the match day one fixture after drawing level and leaving the Stamford Bridge outfit with one point out of a possible three. This is a result that leaves bitter taste in the mouth of Chelsea faithful after seeing the club miss tones of chances to kill off the game. Mourinho and his boys knows that its only the maximum three point that will put Chelsea at the right position in the table as anything less than that will not be entertained by fans let along the addicted lover and owner Roman Abramovic. So its three points or nothing.
- Squad depth and experience: Chelsea have the squad depth to wrap this match in there favour. Again, the Chelsea team have a depth of experience in this game. A handful of the players that won the 2012 Champions league is still in this squad and even the new players coming in- Fabregas, Costa, Luis have a great experience also in this competition from their previous clubs. Sporting on the other hand have not played in this competition in the past five years and a lot of their players are playing in this competition for the first time. Chelsea knows how to navigate this tricky away matches and this should not give them so much of hassle.
- Diego Costa starts: Jose Mourinho has confirmed that Chelsea new star Diego Costa will start this game amidst fear of his hamstring troubles.
“There is a risk, yes. There is a risk,” Mourinho admitted in his pre-match press conference at the stadium last night. “But he plays. We assume the risk and he plays. So, hopefully, everything goes well and hopefully, from Tuesday to Sunday, he has enough period of time to be back on track again and play against Arsenal.”
When Diego plays he brings a lot of qualities going forward. Having scored eight times in six premier league games so far this season, there is no better time for the brazilian to start marking his mark in Europe most prestigious club competition. He is always a handful for opposition defenders and Mauricio, Mahamadou-Naby Sarr, Jonathan Cristian Silva and Cedric Soares of Sporting will have a hard time trying to mark him out. Expect a goal or two from the striker who is a form of his life.