Except for the departures of some young players who have left for loan spells at various European sides this summer, Chelsea have been surprisingly less active during this summer transfer window. Regarding entries this summer, Colombian striker Radamel Falcao has moved to Stamford Bridge on a loan basis from Monaco, after his torpid spell at Manchester United last season. The Blues have also signed Asmir Begovic as a replacement for legendary goalkeeper Petr Cech, who left for Arsenal earlier in the summer.
However, Chelsea have been linked with a host of players as they seek to fill some voids left open at the club.
This one is rather imminent, as they say. The young Augsburg left-back has been pinpointed by boss Jose Mourinho to replace Filipe Luis, who made a return to Atletico this summer. The 30-year Brazilian struggled to find his feet in the Premier League, and Cesar Azpilicueta kept him out of the Blues’ starting line-up. Following his return, Jose has declared a suitable replacement – presumably Baba – will be brought in to fill the gap Luis opened after his exit.
“We need a left-back, the board knows that and my feeling is that we are going to have one,” said Jose.
Reports also claim Baba trained away from his Augsburg team-mates on Tuesday as the Bundesliga club do not want the 21-year old Ghanaian to pick up an injury – which could scupper his transfer to Stamford Bridge. The player is expected to be a Chelsea player before the Blues’ crunch encounter against Manchester City at the Etihad on Sunday. Done deal then!
Although this seems a bit hard, but the Blues can afford Higuain, who as Napoli says, will cost any interested club £66m. The former Real Madrid hitman has reportedly told the Gli Azzuris he wants out, probably because the Serie A side failed to qualify for the Champions League this season. It is understood Jose Mourinho is concerned about Diego Costa’s recurrent hamstring injury and Higuain can help the Portuguese manager clear that concern. With Loic Remy also prone to injury and Falcao still struggling to come to terms with English football, Higuain is seen as the solution. If the Blues can go up to around £50m for the Argentina international striker this week, it is believed he will soon be wearing the Blue shirt of Chelsea.
Everton’s young centre-back – a subject of two rebuffed bids from Chelsea – is still strongly tipped to join the Stamford Bridge landlords. And it is this week. According to reports, the Blues have upped their offer to around £30m for Stones and it is believed this will railroad the Toffees into parting ways with the England international defender, who they signed for just £3m from Burnley 18 months ago. Mourinho sees Stones as John Terry’s long term heir and has ardently been pursuing the player for a while now. Everton boss Roberto Martinez has publicly slammed the Portuguese and his captain, but Stones is still likely to be allowed to be a player for the Premier League champions this season – something he also reportedly craves. He could even be in the stands when Chelsea tackle Man City On Sunday at the Etihad, if negotiations move faster. But at £30m the young Stones has got a whole lots of load on his head.
Chelsea’s all-action midfielder is close to a move to Serie A champions Juventus, so says Italian source Corriere dello Sport. The Bianconeris want to bring in the Brazilian because of the thigh injury which is going to put Sami Khedira on the sidelines until October. Khedira signed for Juventus this summer and is expected to play a vital role following the exits of Andrea Pirlo and Arturo Vidal. Ramires, on the other hand, is fast becoming a fringe player at Chelsea, albeit Mourinho is a fan of his versatility. Corriere dello Sport says Ramires will arrive in Turin imminently to complete the move. Busy week for Chelsea indeed!
A January transfer signing from Fiorentina, Cuadrado has not really shown, in the Premier League, the class he oozed during his time in the Serie A. He was signed by Chelsea to rival Willian for the right wing position in the team, but he has just been more like an understudy for the Brazilian powerhouse. A return to the Serie A with champions Juventus is now on the cards, despite Jose’s claim that Cuadrado remains a Chelsea player and would not be leaving. Gazzetta dello Sport claimed in their Monday edition that Juventus are really considering making a swoop for Cuadrado and are of the feeling it could be done “quite easily”, considering their economic and financial positions. Sources at the club believe the Old Lady would find it easy signing him and the Colombian is expected to be given a role better than the one he is presently being offered at Stamford Bridge. The Colombian’s exit would come as a huge surprise, even more than that of Filipe Luis who recently made a return to Atletico Madrid this summer.