Goals galore as New England beat Minnesota and Columbus overcome Portland

New England Revolution v Minnesota United

In an entertaining game at the Gillette Stadium, it was the Revolution who came out winners with a 5-2 win against the Loons.

It was always going to be a tough game for Minnesota with nine players out through either injury, suspension or on international duty.

The Loons now have a 0-3-1 record with a minus 12 goal difference.

It was a great start for the Revolution as forward Juan Agudelo opened the scoring in the 4th minute after a cross from Chris Tierney.

The lead lasted 12 minutes before Minnesota’s Collen Warner drew the clubs level after a fine long range effort.

New England hit back on 22 minutes with some great work by Lee Nguyen who set up striker Kei Kamara to slot home.

Ten minutes later, Agudelo was brought down in the area, which Nguyen stepped up for and scored from 12 yards.

Just before half time, the lead was extended further, Agudelo scoring from a cross from Diego Fagundez to put Revolution 4-1 up at half time.

With 4 minutes gone in the second half, the Loons pulled one back, Brett Kallman scoring the goal before the game was put beyond doubt on 52 minutes. Another penalty was awarded to New England after Fagundez was fouled in the box. This time Tierney stepped up to score from the spot to give the Revolution a 5-2 win and their first win of the season.

Columbus v Portland

Portland Timbers were finally beaten in another entertaining match against Columbus Crew at the Mapfre Stadium.

The game got off to a great start with Dairon Asprilla opening the scoring in the 4th minute for Portland after Sebastian Blanco threaded a beautiful through ball to Asprilla, who finished well into the far left corner.

However, the lead was short-lived as the Crew hit back with two goals in eight minutes. The first goal was tapped in from forward Justin Meram, from a corner, with the second coming from Ola Kamara after a through ball on the counter attack, to put Columbus 2-1 up. Portland tried to hit back and hit the post on 30 minutes after a shot from Diego Valeri from 20 yards.

Finally, just before the break, the Timbers drew level. Alvas Powell found Fanendo Adi, who took one touch before unleashing a shot into the back of the net.

Straight after the break, Adi had a great chance with a header in the six-yard box which Columbus keeper Zackary Steffen did well to push over the bar.

The winner finally came on 84 minutes with forward Niko Hansen putting in a rebound after Timbers keeper Jake Gleeson could only palm the ball out. Hansen was making his professional debut for the Crew to give them a 3-2 victory.

New York Red Bulls v Real Salt Lake

The Red Bulls and Salt Lake played out a 0-0 draw with Salt Lake’s stand in keeper Matt Van Oekel in excellent form making three saves to deny Red Bull with two of them in the last ten minutes, keeping RSL level. Van Oekel was starting in place of US keeper Nick Rimando who was on international duty.

Both teams continued to press with a fierce midfield battle developing.

But despite chances for both teams, no one could break the deadlock.

Scroll to top