Despite adding Morgan Schneiderlin and Bastian Schweinsteiger to their central midfield this summer, Manchester United have been linked with another top midfield man – Lucas Biglia, and this reports made headlines in thee British media all through last week although it has somehow simmered down.
However, in Italy, the Biglia to United rumours appear like it would not fade away, no matter how much ignorance is being paid to the news. The Lazio midfielder does not look like one who the Red Devils need right now and as such, the reports have been seen as a merely made up one.
As per Sport Witness, Italian publication Gazetta dello Sport claimed last week that Biglia had been targeted by United even before the arrival of their Schneridelin, and that the interest has since been dropped as the Argentine missed out on a lucrative move to Old Trafford. Gazetta even further said United submitted a bid of €25m for the midfielder’s services but they had their offer rejected by Lazio before the Premier League club moved on to other targets.
Nevertheless, on Saturday the same Italian media outlet revealed United have return to Italy with an improved €30m (£21.3m) offer, and Biglia’s club are holding out for a fee around €40m which is deemed absurd for a 29-year old.
This news that Biglia is currently in negotiations to join the Red Devils will not hit Manchester United fans by surprise. Although the reports could be untrue, and it is not the first time, but it appears like something can materialise out of this.
Biglia joined Lazio in 2013 and was recently installed as the Biancocelesti skipper for the 2015/16 campaign, following Stefano Mauri’s departure. Despite that, he still somehow thinks he could leave the Stadio Olimpico.
“Will I definitely stay now that I have the armband? I don’t know,” the Argentinian midfielder told reporters.