Norwich v Southampton, Saturday 15:00
– Norwich found themselves on the end of a heavy defeat at Old Trafford last weekend, as they fell to a 4-0 defeat at the hands of Man Utd. It was a dominant display by the Red Devils but Norwich’s industry and attitude will have given their manager plenty of hope ahead of Southampton’s visit this weekend.
– Robert Snodgrass continues to be Norwich’s main creative fulcrum this season, completing a squad-high 595 passes in the opponent’s half, at a rate of one every 3.9 minutes according to the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index.
– Some of Norwich’s more defensive-minded players have certainly had plenty to occupy their thoughts this season, but they have been stepping up to the challenge. The Norwich squad now boasts 7 players who have made more than 100 defensive contributions (Snodgrass, Bassong, Garrido, Johnson, Martin, Turner, Tettey)
– Bradley Johnson unfortunately continues to concede fouls at a higher rate than Chris Hughton will likely be happy with. He currently sits 5th on the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index with 48 fouls.
– Grant Holt remains one of Norwich’s most consistent threats on goal this season, the imposing frontman boasting the lowest minutes per shot rate in the Norwich squad for players with more than 5 attempts. Holt has had a shot on target once every 86.2 minutes this season.
– Southampton’s survival prospects were dealt a blow as they could not prevent QPR taking all three points back to London in a 1-2 defeat. Gaston Ramirez’s solitary goal will have provided scant consolation and the Saints will be desperate to claim a win this weekend.
– Midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin has been garnering rave reviews for his all action performances this season, and has the stats to back them up. His 13 successful tackles last weekend was the highest by any player in a single match this season.
– Scheneiderlin can also boast a record of 533 successful passes in the opponent’s half, the highest in the Southampton squad, at a rate of 4.8 minutes according to the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index.
– Portuguese defender Jose Fonte has been once of the defensive lynchpins in the Southampton side this season and has continued this form as we approach the run-in. He’s made a squad-leading 226 defensive contributions including an exceptional 150 interceptions
– Southampton will be looking to Nathaniel Clyne and Adam Lallana to be the providers from the flanks this weekend. Between the two of them they have combined for 85 crosses this season.