League of Ireland round-up: Cork win again, two managers get the sack

It was a week of long knives in the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division as there were two managerial departures. The first to go was Limerick’s Martin Russell. He had led the club to the First Division last season but became a victim to their growing ambition. Then, on Wednesday, Sligo Rovers parted company with Dave Robertson. He had led the club to a respectable 5th place last season which ensured qualification into the Scottish Challenge Cup, but he paid the price for a poor start this season. As is always the way in football both teams won their matches at the weekend. Limerick were 2-0 winners away to St. Patrick’s Athletic thanks to goal from Tony Whitehead and John O’Flynn. Sligo Rovers were Also 2-0 winners at home to Bohemian FC in the Showgrounds. Jonah Ayunga, who is on loan from Brighton, scored the first and Mick Leahy got the second.

At the top of the table Cork City made it eight league wins out of eight as they beat Derry City 3-0 in Turner’s Cross. If I were a betting man, and I would use NetBet, I would have had money on this. Garry Buckley, Karl Sheppard and the in demand Sean Maguire scored the goals. Maguire, who was previously with West Ham, is attracting interest from Preston and Charlton amongst other clubs. Dundalk kept up the pressure on Cork as they won 2-0 away to Finn Harps. David McMillan bagged both goals. A last minute goal from Stephen Dunne gave Drogheda United a 2-1 home win against Shamrock Rovers. Sean Thornton had given Drogheda the lead but the real drama came in the dying minutes. A red card in the 88th minute for Sean Brennan led to a penalty for Shamrock Rovers which was converted by Graham Burke before Dunne got the dramatic winner. The remaining game saw Bray Wanderers beat Galway United 1-0 thanks to a goal from Gary McCabe. Bray played out the last half hour of the game with ten men as their captain Conor Kenna was sent off.

Waterford continue to lead the way in the First Divison thanks to their 2-1 win against Cobh Ramblers. UCD are up to second as they won 4-1 at home to Athlone Town. Shelbourne are third as they were 1-0 winners against Cabinteely. The other game in the division was a goalless draw between Wexford and Longford Town in a clash of two of the teams who were relegated last season.

Scroll to top