As the season kicks fully into gear, each club has players both key and fringe who are plagued by an injury or two. In this article, we will be focusing on Man City players who are injured and how long they will be out. We will also be examing how their absence will affect the team.
- Samir Nasri: The Frenchman underwent surgery on his groin and he is expected back in a month. He will miss matches against Roma, CSKA Moscow in the Champions League, and in the League, he is also ruled out in the fixture against Aston Villa, Tottenham and West Ham. In lieu of his absence, Milner has been in the starting team and has buoyed the team his performance. Navas also has had his share of lining up against opponents, and therefore, Nasri won’t be missed much.
- Fernando: He suffered from a groin injury and was out for a month or so. He missed crunch matches against Arsenal, Chelsea, Bayern. However he has returned from injury and is said to have resumed training on Monday. Expect him to start the next league match though. Since his arrival from Porto, he has been outstanding, before his injury, and Fernandinho has covered up for him. Expect both him and Fernandinho to line up together in the next match, as seen from their time together in Porto, they have excellent understanding of each other and always cover up for each other.
- Stefan Jovetic: The forward has been out with a hamstring injury since the start of September. He resumed training on Monday as well, and he was named on the bench for last night’s match against Roma. The fact that the hamstring injury is a recurring injury, and also Alvaro Negredo out on loan at Valencia, sees City being short up front, especially with Aguero being injury prone and Dzeko sometimes losing form, City will be short up front and might have to look to their academy as they did against Sheffield and call on Jose Angel Pozo.
- Alvaro Negredo: On loan at Valencia, he sustained a metatarsal injury during pre-season but has two or three weeks left on the sidelines. Do not expect to see him wear the man city jersey again, as his loan deal has a clause that requires Valencia signing him on a permanent basis next Season. The Beast will certainly be missed.
- Matija Nastasic: Down with a knock but will be out for less than two weeks. However, since the arrivals of Martin Demichelis and then Eliaquim Mangala, he has been on the fringe of the first team and has only started in the Community Shield so far this Season. Despite the potentials, not having enough playing time will not do his morale any good.
These are the players currently injured amongst Man City first team squad. Interestingly, despite their absence, the Man City squad on paper is good enough to defend their title and this is because of the policy of Pellegrini in having two players for a position. Lets hope the fiet team are able to mount a serious defense of the title.