By Far The Greatest Team

The football blog for fans of all clubs

Premier League

Mane Off As Jesus Shines In Slick City Rout


The controversial first-half dismissal of Liverpool forward Sadio Mane by referee Jonathan Moss tainted an eventful game at The Etihad yesterday lunchtime, as Manchester City ran out 5-0 winners to put them level on points with Manchester United at the top.

The home reached their five-goal thrashing thanks to goals from Sergio Aguero and doubles from Gabriel Jesus and Leroy Sane on a day that saw 24 Premier League goals.

Meanwhile the Reds, while creating a fair few convertible half chances, never really looked threatening and had any resistance that they may have shown crushed just before half-time.

In terms of the two teams, the hosts were without suspended Raheem Sterling and welcomed two changes to the side that overcame Bournemouth at The Vitally Stadium before the International Break.

Kyle Walker returned from suspension in place of new signing Bernardo Silva and Aguero replaced Sterling after the England International witnessed his own controversial red card in the dying moments on The South Coast.

For the visitors, Joe Gomez was replaced by Trent Alexander-Arnold, Simon Mignolet came in for Loris Karius and Ragnar Klavan replaced Dejan Lovren under Jurgen Klopp.

New signing from Arsenal Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain was left on the bench, under two weeks after being on the receiving end of a 4-0 thrashing from Liverpool with The Gunners on Merseyside.

The hosts made the far brighter start in Manchester and soon led through Aguero, who extended his run of scoring in every single home League Game that he has played against The Reds.

An immaculate ball from midfield maestro Kevin De Bruyne played the Argentinian through on goal to round Mignolet and finish easily on 13 minutes.

However, the turning point in the game just before half-time wouldn’t prove to be a piece of goalmouth action, just a pivotal fifty-fifty between Sadio Mane and Ederson.

Liverpool’s Joel Matip punched a fantastic long ball for Mane to chase and as he arrived to try and get a nick, the Senegal International caught Ederson in the face with a high boot leaving the keeper with a suspected broken cheek bone for his troubles.

Referee Jon Moss showed little hesitation in showing the forward a red card and leaving the visitors with ten men. Just moments later, Jesus would double the home side’s lead as he converted a delighted De Bruyne cross.

The second-half would bring nothing more than additional waves and waves of City pressure that culminated In a third in The Citizens, as Aguero unselfishly set up Jesus for his second.

Pep Guardiola’s men would be forced to wait until the last 15 minutes for their final two goals as Leroy Sane came up with two moments of pure magic.

His first goal and City’s fourth came from a brilliant team move as Mendy crossed for Sane to finish splendidly in the bottom near corner.

However, for the fifth in added time, the work was done solely by the German with him stepping inside and unleashing a magnificent curling effort into the far top corner to leave the traveling fans that remained with very sour taste.

The defeat halts an otherwise impressive start to the season for Jurgen Klopp’s men who drop down to 7th and face a home tie with Burnley in their next League fixture.

But for supporters of a certain Manchester Club, partying under The Blue Moon will have been the order of the night yesterday evening as they reaffirmed their early spot in the Title Race.

Next up for The Blue Boys of Manchester will be a trip to Vicarage Road, where they will face another of The League’s form sides in Watford.

Man of the Match: Kevin De Bruyne

Scroll to top