MLS round-up: Portland remain top of Western Conference

LA Galaxy v Montreal 2-0

The Galaxy got back to winning ways with a 2-0 victory over Montreal Impact at the StubHub Centre.

Romain Alessandrini opened the scoring on 15 minutes, receiving a pass from Emmanuel Boateng before slotting the ball into the net past Evan Bush in the Impact goal from the edge of the area.
Things went from bad to worse for the Impact as Marco Donadel was sent off just before half time for making contact with Jermaine Jones. Jones certainly made the most of the impact, as he went down clutching his face.

The Galaxy looked the team most likely to score, helped by their numerical advantage. Finally they sealed the match on 74 minutes. The Galaxy hit Montreal on the break when Jones burst through from the half way line and finished well to give the LA faithful something to cheer about. LA Galaxy find themselves mid table in the Western Conference after five games, with the Impact still without a win and second from bottom in the Eastern Conference.

New England v Houston 2-0

New England Revolution continued their fine home form with a 2-0 win over Houston Dynamo.

The first half was devoid of chances until the 45th minute when Revolution’s Juan Agudelo headed over the keeper and wide when scoring seemed easier.

New England finally found the break through on 52 minutes. Lee Nguyen’s excellent through ball sent Kei Kamara free who scored on the second attempt.

The Dynamo had a great chance to get back on level terms when Erick Torres was sent free with a ball over the top, only for his first touch to let him down as he knocked the ball too close to the goalkeeper Cody Cropper.

Cropper again pulled off a smart save on 64 minutes, diving to his right to push a good shot from Ricardo Clark around the post.

The Revolution grabbed their second of the match in the 72nd minute. Left back Kelyn Rowe crossed the ball which Dynamo keeper Tyler Deric could only push out to the feet of Juan Agudelo, who kept his composure to slot the ball home and gain the win.

New England Revolution stay mid table in the Eastern Conference, with Houston Dynamo dropping to third in the Western Conference.

Chicago v Columbus 1-0

The Fire secured an excellent 1-0 win over Columbus Crew at Toyota Park in front of 16,434.

The Fire took the lead after 22 minutes after a superb through ball from Dax McCarty to Nemanja Nikolic, who slotted under the keeper into the goal.

Chances remained few and far between as both sides failed to hit the target, although Bastian Schweinsteiger came close from a free kick with Zack Steffen saving well on 77 minutes.

Three minutes later the Fire came close again. Daniel Jonson, on as a second half substitute, attempted to chip the ball over Steffen, who got a hand on the ball, before it was cleared to safety.

Chicago Fire now lie in forth place with Columbus Crew remaining top, despite defeat in the Eastern Conference.

D.C. United v NYC City 2-1

D.C. United pulled off a good 2-1 win over NYC City. The first half lacked any chances on target as both teams cancelled each other out.

However the second half came to life on 52 minutes. NYC’s Frederic Brillant was caught in possession by Lloyd Sam who took the ball forward and scored past Sean Johnson to put D.C. United 1-0 up.

United went further ahead in the 73rd minute. Sam fired a shot that Johnson could only palm out, leaving Luciano Acosta to put in the rebound.

Bill Hamid in the D.C. goal kept their 2-0 lead intact, pulling off a double save, first from David Villa and then Khiry Shelton.

NYC pulled one back two minutes later with a good finish after Tommy McNamara found the Spaniard Villa in the area.

NYC continued to pile on the pressure but it was to little to late as D.C. United held on. Both sides remaining mid table on seven points each in the Eastern Conference.

Philadelphia v Portland 1-3

Philadelphia Union were soundly beaten by Portland Timbers 3-1.

However it was the Union who started the better of the two sides.

Portland keeper Jake Gleason made good saves in the 8th and 17th minute to keep the scores level. The Union deservedly took the lead on 25 minutes. Defender Richie Marquez rose in the centre to head home after a corner from Haris Medunjanin.

The lead lasted for six minutes. Darlington Nagbe hit a low drive on the edge of the box into the corner of the net to draw the sides level. The Timbers took the lead on 66 minutes as a floated free kick from Diego Valeri into the area was flicked over the keeper from defender Roy Miller into the far corner.

The win was complete on 88 minutes. Darren Mattocks broke away and was brought down in the area by Union keeper Andre Blake, giving the referee no option but to point at the spot. Fanendo Adi stepped up to score from 12 yards to seal the 3-1 win and become Portland’s all time, all era leading goalscorer with 46.

Portland Timber remain top of the Western Conference with 13 points, while Philadelphia Union stay bottom of the Eastern Conference still searching for their first win of the season.

Toronto v Atlanta United 2-2

Toronto FC and Atlanta United played out an entertaining 2-2 draw at the BMO Field.

Atlanta United took the lead on 15 minutes after a good finish from Tito Villalba after receiving a through ball from Miguel Almiron.

Toronto hit back with a great goal in the 20th minute. Victor Vazquez floated a ball into Jozy Altidore who flicked the ball into the path of Sebastian Giovinco who slotted home to equalize for his first goal of the season.

Three minutes later, Giovinco ran through only to be thwarted by Alec Kann in the United goal. Another save by Kann on 35 minutes again denied Giovinco who was starting to run the game.

Two minutes before half time Toronto took the lead with both wing backs combining. Steven Beitashour found Justin Morrow to slot home to go in 2-1 at half time.

With the second half only minutes old, United were level. A great long pass from Leandro Gonzalez Pirez found Villalba who took the ball into the area before firing under the keeper to bring the scores level.

Both teams continued to press for the winner in a hard fought battle until Yamil Asad was sent off with a straight red for an apparent elbow on Eriq Zavaleta. It seemed another harsh red card.
Atlanta managed to hold on in the last 15 minutes to earn the draw.

Toronto FC lie third from bottom in the Eastern Conference, despite being unbeaten with one win and four draws. Atlanta are third with eight points.

FC Dallas v Minnesota 2-0

FC Dallas beat Minnesota United 2-0 at the Toyota Stadium.

Dallas should have opened the scoring on 15 minutes when Michael Barrios forced a good save from Bobby Shuttleworth. He could only palm the ball out to Roland Lamah, who, with the goal gaping, managed to put the ball wide.

Dallas took the lead just before half time. Barrios curled in a deep cross to Walker Zimmerman who knocked the ball to Javier Morales who managed to get the faintest of touches to send the ball over Shuttleworth and into the net.

Three minutes into the second half and FC Dallas were 2-0 up. Kellyn Acosta won the ball in midfield and burst into the area before he played the ball to Barrios who hammered home.

Minnesota almost pulled one back in the 50th minute after Sam Cronin hit a thunderous long range effort that Jesse Gonzalez tipped wide to ensure the win for Dallas.

Minnesota United stay bottom on four points, with FC Dallas moving to second place with 10 points both in the Western Conference.

Real Salt Lake v Vancouver 3-0

RSL beat Vancouver Whitecaps comfortably in a snow hit match in front of 17,069.

Albert Rusnak came close on 39 minutes, forcing David Ousted into a good save.

The second half consisted of goals, heavy snow and an orange ball, with RSL getting their first in the 53rd minute. Rusnak managed to stay on his feet in slippery conditions and shot low into the bottom corner.

Rusnak turned provider on 74 minutes when he found Yura Movsisyan in the area who cut inside onto his right foot and curled the ball into the net.

Four minutes later it was game over, as RSL grabbed their third. Rusnak took the corner, which was misjudged by Ousted, allowing Luke Mulholland to volley in.

RSL lie mid table in the Western Conference after winning their first match of the season, with Vancouver Whitecaps second from bottom.

San Jose v Seattle 1-1

San Jose Earthquakes and Seattle Sounders played out a non-eventful 1-1 draw at the Avaya Stadium.

With neither side finding a breakthrough in the first half, it was The Sounders who took the lead in the 84th minute with a great left foot volley from Nicolas Lodeiro following a rebound from a free kick by Clint Dempsey. With the goal seemingly looking like the winner, Chris Wondoloski tapped in after some good work from Marco Urena and Cordell Cato to force the draw.

San Jose Earthquakes lie in fifth position with Seattle Sounders two places lower in the Western Conference.

Orlando v NY Red Bulls 1-0

Orlando City beat the New York Red Bulls 1-0 at the Orlando City Stadium.

It was the Red Bulls who went closest first, as Bradley Wright-Phillips forced a good save from Orlando keeper Joe Bendik after seven minutes.

Bendik was once again called into action, as Wright-Phillips burst through only for the keeper to half block the shot and Jonathan Spector to clear off the line.

It was Orlando who took the lead on 34 minutes from a corner, as Servando Carrasco headed in his first ever MLS goal.

Luis Robles kept the Red Bulls level in the second half as he produced a fine save from Cyle Larin.

Despite half chances for the Red Bulls they were unable to find a way through, giving the win to Orlando City who stay second in the Eastern Conference, one point behind Columbus Crew. New York Red Bulls lie mid table.

Sporting KC v Colorado 3-1

Sporting Kansas City claimed a great 3-1 win against Colorado Rapids.

It only took Kansas six minutes to take the lead. A good right hand cross from Gerso Fernandes was only palmed out to Seth Sinovic who slammed home the first goal.

The Rapids almost drew level just before half time, when keeper Tim Melia somehow stopped the ball on his goal line from a Dominque Badji header.

With the second half 12 minutes old, Kansas grabbed their second of the match. Dom Dwyer did excellent in the centre of the park to find Roger Espinoza, who in turn found Gerso, who broke forward and finished in the bottom corner.

The third came on 84 minutes when the impressive Dwyer slotting past Tim Howard from a great cross from the left from Sinovic.

The Rapids grabbed a consolation goal deep into injury time after Badji fouled Soni Mustivar. Kevin Doyle stepped up to slot away the penalty.

Sporting Kansas have nine points in fifth position with Colorado Rapids down in ninth both in the Western Conference.

Scroll to top