By Far The Greatest Team

The football blog for fans of all clubs


MLS Roundup: Sounders in incredible three-goal comeback

Toronto FC 2-0 Houston Dynamo

Toronto FC beat Houston Dynamo 2-0 in a comfortable win at the BMO Field. Toronto took the lead on 16 minutes when Raheem Edwards found space on the left to cross into the box for Jozy Altidore to slot home past keeper Joe Willis. It was a great team goal following 20 passes which wore down the resolute defence.

The lead was doubled on 32 minutes, again with great work from Edwards on the left. The wing back found Altidore on the edge of the area, who played a one two with Sebastian Giovinco which sent clear Altidore to fire home and take a 2-0 lead into half time.

The second half continued with Toronto peppering the Dynamo goal, as Willis denied the Canadian team any further goals. Toronto FC move to fifth in the Eastern conference with Houston Dynamo in forth in the Western conference.

Orlando City FC 2-0 Colorado Rapids

Colorado Rapids were beaten again, this time by Orlando City as they won 2-0. Orlando finally took the lead on 70 minutes through a 25 yard strike from Carlos Rivas which flew into the back of the net. It was no more than they deserved after dominating possession throughout.

Zac Macmath had kept Orlando at bay for majority of the match, including a great save to deny Antonio Nocerino early in the first half, as well as a good stop from Cyle Larin’s header in the second.

The game was secured in injury time as Kaka popped in a rebound after a scramble in the area. Orlando City are top of the Eastern conference while Colorado Rapids remain routed to the bottom of the Western conference.

Montreal Impact 1-2 Vancouver Whitecaps

The Whitecaps came from a goal behind to beat the Impact 2-1.

Marco Donadel opened the scoring in the ninth minute when his deflected long range shot hit the back of the net. But 20 minutes later, the impressive Andrew Jacobson hit the equaliser with a volley from outside the penalty area.

With chances few and far between and a midfield battle ensuing, the winner finally came on 11 minutes from time. Jacobson received the ball and slotted a through ball into the path of Cristian Techera who finished well to win the match.

Montreal Impact stay second from bottom in the Eastern conference with Vancouver Whitecaps in mid table in the Eastern conference.

New York Red Bulls 2-1 Chicago Fire

The Red Bulls beat an inform Chicago Fire with all eyes on former Red Bull player Dax McCarty. In a lively 30 minutes both teams missed a host of chances before the deadlock was finally broken.

It was New York who took the lead on 37 minutes, Daniel Royer burst into the area and played the ball over to Bradley Wright-Phillips who knocked the ball into the goal.

With neither side adding to the score-line before half time, it was The Fire who grabbed the equaliser just before the hour mark courtesy of that man McCarty jiggling his way through before feeding Nemanja Nikolic who finished well to level the scores to 1-1.

The Red Bulls however went 2-1 ahead on 71 minutes. Kemar Lawrence broke into the area on the left before slotting the ball into the corner of the net across Jorge Rodrigo Bava in the Fire goal.

Red Bull kept Chicago at bay for the final 19 minutes to secure the win and move second in the Eastern Conference. Chicago Fire stay mid table.

Minnesota United 0-1 San Jose Earthquakes

The Loons looked to win their second match on the trot but found themselves on the losing side as the Earthquakes’ grabbed a 1-0 away win.

The Earthquakes almost took the lead after Cordell Cato hit the bar from range with a curling effort that looked destined for the net, only to bounce back off the woodwork.

The Loons hit back and Cato was the hero at the other end as he cleared a ball off the line after Christian Ramirez had shot from outside the area. Although how Minnesota were not awarded a penalty in the build up after Kevin Molino was obstructed, only the referee will know.

The only goal came 54 minutes into the game for the Earthquakes. A corner had caused confusion in the box only for Florian Jungwirth to tap in from close range.

San Jose managed to hold out for the win despite pressure from the Loons. The Earthquakes lie in fifth while The Loons stay ninth in the Western Conference.

Sporting Kansas City 3-0 Real Salt Lake

Sporting KC got back to winning ways as they recorded a comprehensive victory over RSL on a wet pitch.

The match came to life on 17 minutes with a super strike from Benny Feilhaber who found the goal from 25 yards to put Kansas 1-0 up and a lead at half time.

The second half was very much like the first, with Kansas attacking from the off. They gained their reward six minutes into the half, as Dom Dwyer struck from outside the area, low into the net.

The match was sealed deep in injury time as the ball found its way to Gerso Fernandes who squeezed it in giving Kansas a 3-0 win and keeping them second on 15 points, while RSL lie eighth in the Western Conference.

LA Galaxy 0-0 Philadelphia Union

LA Galaxy produced another poor performance despite having a host of chances as they drew 0-0 with the Union. The best chance fell to the Galaxy on 21 minutes. Joao Pedro shot from outside the area hit both posts before somehow bouncing into the keepers arms.

Andre Blake kept the Galaxy forwards at bay with some good saves as neither side could find the break through.

The Galaxy left the field at the final whistle to a chorus of boos as their poor form continues. LA Galaxy stay second from bottom in the Western Conference, while Philadelphia Union remain bottom, still searching for their first win in the Eastern Conference.

Columbus Crew 2-3 New York City FC 

Both sides played out an entertaining match as NYC came from behind to win 3-2.

It was NYC who took the lead in the eighth minute, Maxi Moralez played a great ball through to Jack Harrison who lifted the ball into the goal past Zach Steffen to silence the home crowd.

The Crew drew level on 29 minutes. Jukka Raitala found Federico Higuain who scored on the half volley. With the scores level at half time, it was Columbus Crew who took the lead in the second half. A mistake from Alexander Callens let in Ethan Finlay who squared the ball for Ola Kamara to score his fifth of the season.

The lead was short lived however, with 64 minutes showing on the clock a curling cross by Ben Sweat was met by the head of Yangel Herrera who buried the equaliser.

NYC scored the winner with 14 minutes to go after Herrera pounced on a defensive error to find Harrison, who swept home his second of the match and secure the 3-2 win for NYC.

NYCFC move to third place with Columbus Crew one place below in the Eastern Conference.

FC Dallas 2-2 Portland Timbers

FC Dallas hit back twice to stay level and draw the match with the Timbers at the Providence Park.

The Timbers struck first on the half hour mark. A floated free kick by David Guzman was headed in by Fanendo Adi to score the first goal and lead 1-0 at the break.

It was Dallas who replied first in the second half. Maxi Urruti curling a shot in to the left hand corner. It took 10 minutes for The Timber to regain the lead, after some excellent passing between Darlington Nagbe, Darren Mattocks and Alvas Powell before finding Sebastian Blanco who controlled the ball before finishing left footed into the net.

The last equaliser came on 80 minutes. Hernan Grana crossed into the box and found Tresho Akindele who coolly finished to keep the score level at the final whistle. FC Dallas stay in third on 15 points with Portland Timbers top on 17 in the Western Conference.

Seattle Sounders 3-3 New England Revolution

An entertaining 3-3 draw saw the Sounders fight back from recover a 3 goal deficit.

The Revolution took the lead on 15 minutes as Daigo Kobayashi fired in from outside the area. Nine minutes later it was 2-0, Juan Agudelo finding the net from a header. The second half was barely nine minutes old when the Revolution took what looked like an unassailable lead. Agudelo slotting home what looked like the winning goal and a 3-0 lead.

The Sounders however came back fighting, with 15 minutes left on the clock. Joevin Jones found space on the left hand side to cut the ball back for the on-rushing Nicolas Lodeiro, who slotted home a deflected shot. With five minutes left of the match, the Sounders grabbed their second. Jones again on the left, crossed in a teasing ball for Will Bruin to head home and give Seattle hope. With two minutes remaining, the Sounders grabbed their third. Lodeiro crossed, Gustav Svensson flicked the ball on and Osvaldo Alonso scooped his header over the line to give Seattle a miraculous draw at the death.

The Sounders stay mid table in the Western Conference while the Revolution stay ninth in the Eastern Conference.

Atlanta United 1-3 D.C. United 

D.C. United grabbed an excellent away win against an in form Atlanta side.

The game immediately came to life with Bill Hamid somehow keeping the scores level as he made two fantastic saves to deny Atlanta and Kenwyne Jones in the first three minutes. But it was Jones who did find a way past Hamid after nine minutes, heading home a floated cross from close range.

When everyone was expecting Atlanta to push on, it was D.C. who drew level on after 25 minutes with a cruel own goal from Michael Parkhurst. Suddenly D.C. were rampant and a great run and finish by Luciano Acosta gave them the lead on 36 minutes and a first half lead.

With the second half in progress D.C. United went further ahead on 55 minutes. Sebastien Le Toux was sent through on goal and remained calm to slot the ball in the goal to increase the lead to 3-1.

Despite possession and pressure from Atlanta the score remained the same, keeping D.C. United in eighth and Atlanta United two places above them in the Eastern Conference.

Scroll to top