Manchester United have dismissed claims that Louis van Gaal offered to resign from his role as manager at the weekend. Earlier this week it had been reported that United boss Louis van Gaal looked set to leave the Premier League club on Saturday after losing to Southampton.
It was reported that the 64-year-old had told United executive vice-chairman ED Woodward he would be prepared to quit after his side 1-0 home defeat. Despite his desire to depart the club, Ed Woodward told him to re-think his decision.
And according to our sources, no such conversation took place because the boss did not offer to resign at the weekend. Van Gaal returned to United’s training ground ahead of FA Cup game at Derby following more speculation over his future.
The Dutchman was back at Carrington on Tuesday morning to oversee the Red Devils preparation for their FA Cup match with Derby County.
The manager arrived back late on Monday night into Manchester after taking a break for his daughter’s birthday after Saturday’s defeat to Southampton. The Red Devils’ players have also resumed training after the two days break from Saturday’s match.
Although United have now come out to fully dismiss speculations about the Van Gaal’s resignation, the Old Trafford outfit are still maintaining their long-established position of refusing to publicly discuss the Dutchman’s future.
United have won just two of their past 10 Barclays Premier League games and Van Gaal and his players were booed during and after Saturday’s home game against Southampton, in which they only had one shot on target. Van Gaal, who was appointed as successor to David Moyes in 2014, is just over halfway through a three-year contract.
Before the Saturday’s home defeat, Van Gaal’s future at the club has been a subject of debate amid several speculations linking other managers who may be ready to succeed him.