By Far The Greatest Team

The football blog for fans of all clubs

SSE Airtricity League Round-Up Week Ending 28th May: Harps Hit the Right Tune

Finn Harps enjoyed a harmonious week in the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division, as they followed up their win against St. Patrick’s Athletic last Monday, with a 3-2 win against Limerick on Friday night at Finn Park. Ciaran O’Connor, Danny Morrissey and Caolan McAteer scored for Harps with Lee Lynch and Paul O’Conor scoring for Limerick. Morrissey had an eventful game as he was sent off in stoppage time.

Speaking of St. Pat’s, they lost again as they were beaten 2-0 at home by Dundalk. Michael Duffy and David McMillan the scorers for the Lillywhites. Speaking after the game, their under pressure manager, Liam Buckley, said that he wanted time to try and turn his side’s fortunes around.

Third place side Bray Wanderers were held to a 2-2 draw at the Carlisle Ground, thanks to a spirited performance from Sligo Rovers. Aaron Greene and Dylan Connolly twice put the home side in front with Mick Leahy equalising both times. New Rovers manager, Gerard Lyttle, also made his first signing as he brought in defender Seamus Sharkey, who had previously been with Derry and Limerick. Derry played out a goal-less with Drogheda United.

In a predictable outcome, Cork City won at the weekend, this time beating Shamrock Rovers 4-1 at Turner’s Cross. Members of the Republic of Ireland first team squad were watching as they were on a training break down in Fota Island in Cork. In fact, Cork’s two keepers, Mark McNulty and Alan Smith, were drafted in to help with the training. Trevor Clarke scored for Shamrock with Ryan Delaney scoring twice for Cork, with Gearoid Morrissey and John Dunleavy getting the other goals. David McAllister was sent off during the game for Shamrock. So Cork are now fifteen points clear at the top and this coming Friday are away to second place side and champions for the past three seasons, Dundalk. If they win at Oriel Park the league would be effectively over.

In the First Division, Waterford continue to lead the way despite drawing 0-0 away to fellow contenders Cobh Ramblers. Sandwiched in between them are UCD who won 2-0 away to Athlone Town. Cabinteely won 4-1 away against Shelbourne, while Longford Town beat bottom side Wexford 5-0 and after the game announced that their manager, Alan Matthews was leaving the club by mutual consent. Such is life in the SSE Airtricity League!

Scroll to top