Man Utd vs Southampton
– One of the major talking points for English football fans this season has been the resurgence of Wayne Rooney, and David Moyes will certainly hoping that the former Everton man can lead the Red Devils to victory against seventh placed Southampton.
– Adnan Januzaj produced a superb performance to guide Manchester United to victory against Southampton. The pressure clearly didn’t get to the 18 year old in his first League start for the champions, as he completed 5 dribbles against Sunderland – the third most in the League.
– At the other end of the spectrum, stalwart midfielder Michael Carrick emphasised his innate ability to thread a pass through the eye of a needle. The perennially underrated midfielder completed 66 passes in the opposition half – the most of any player in the league.
– Michael Carrick’s passing has been majestic all season, as he has completed 312 passes in the opposition half so far this term – more than anyone else in the league. The EA SPORTS Player Performance Index also highlights that Carrick has the best record in the league for interceptions made. The former Spurs man has made 31 interceptions, with his closest competitor Mile Jedinak making 25.
– Everton full back Leighton Baines produced a stellar performance for England in midweek, which would have attracted the attention of David Moyes as he continues his pursuit of his former pupil. Patrice Evra, however, is clearly determined to showcase his offensive worth to the Manchester United team, as he has swung in 9 crosses so far this season – more than any other defender in the league.
– Two promising English players in Adam Lallana and Jay Rodriquez hit the back of the net in Southampton’s victory over Swansea before the international break.
– Another player hoping to break into the international scene is French midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin. The former Strasbourg midfielder showcased his creative ability against Swansea, completing 23 passes in the opposition half.
– Schneiderlin’s all round ability has also been evident in the number of tackles he’s made this season. He’s completed 35 tackles so far this season – more than any of his teammates.
– Southampton’s success so far this season has been built on a resolute defence, and Jose Fonte should receive much of the credit for this. The centre half has made 95 defensive contributions this season, based on tackles, blocks, clearances and interceptions.
– Likewise, right back Nathaniel Clyne has shown how impressive he is in the tackle. The EA SPORTS Player Performance Index shows that the full back has attempted 26 tackles, and won 22 of them.