QPR v Wigan 16:10
– Another solid performance was QPR was not enough to avert defeat as they fell 3-2 to Fulham at Craven Cottage despite goals from Adel Taarabt and Loic Remy.
– Andros Townsend has been reveling in an extended run of first team games since his arrival on loan from Tottenham. The pacy winger has taken on average just 8 efforts on goal to find the back of the net and QPR fans will be looking for him to hit his best form again against fellow strugglers Wigan.
– Despite coming in for criticism in recent weeks,Christopher Samba has been compiling some impressive statistics following his big money transfer. According to the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index, Samba has made a defensive contribution once every 7.1 minutes he’s played this season.
– Another high profile signing, Esteban Granero, has been turning in some even more impressive performances for Harry Redknapp’s side, establishing himself as the pivotal figure in the QPR midfield. He’s so far completed a pass in the opponent’s half once every 3.6 minutes, the best rate in the QPR squad.
– A late goal from Arouna Kone saw Wigan move out of the bottom 3 with a grinding 1-0 win over Norwich.
– Wigan’s seemingly annual springtime revival is predicated on solid defensive work to allow the more attacking-minded players the freedom to roam, especially against spirited opposition who are also struggling in the league. Gary Caldwell will be central to this given the 256 defensive contributions he’s made to the Wigan cause this season.
– Arouna Kone will be at the forefront of any charge Wigan make towards Premier League survival this season, his goals coming at crucial times so far for Roberto Martinez’s side. He has a solid 63.1% shot accuracy rate from 65 attempts on goal, bagging 10 goals along the way.
– Feeding him opportunities will likely be Jean Beausejour who’s forays up the flanks have produced 107 crosses this season and a squad-high 8 assists.