Southampton v Liverpool, Saturday 15:00
– Southampton would have felt hard done by to have a lost a match they dominated last weekend, their fixture with Norwich ending in a 0-0 draw after Luke Shaw conceded a late penalty.
– The tenacity of Morgan Schneiderlin has been something to behold at times this season, the Frenchman providing no small amount of bite and work ethic to the Saints midfield. He tops the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index for total tackles attempted with 123, winning a solid 60.9% of them.
– Despite his foul leading to an eventual penalty last weekend, Luke Shaw continues to show all the signs of developing into a top class left back. He’s made 150 defensive contributions this season, with his reading of the game being particularly impressive, 100 of those contributions being from interceptions by the young defender.
– Southampton will be keen to keep Adam Lallana fit for as long as they can given the influence he has been exerting on games this season. The technical midfielder has delivered more crosses than any other Saints player (46) as well as chipping in with 5 assists.
– Liverpool secured a vital 3-2 over Tottenham at Anfield last Sunday to keep their hopes of making it into the top four alive this season. Luis Suarez got his obligatory goal, and saw his strike added to by efforts from Stewart Downing and Steven Gerrard.
– The irrepressible Luis Suarez continue to cement himself as a Liverpool legend with the incredible run of form he is currently enjoying. He now tops the league for goals scored with 22, no surprise given that he has had an enormous 143 attempts on goal according to the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index.
– Despite impending shoulder surgery, Joe Allen’s arrival in the game against Tottenham last weekend gave his side the stability and calm demeanour required at the time. The Welshman has now completed a pass in the opponents half once every 4.1 minutes this season, playing a pivotal role in the Reds’ midfield.
– Stewart Downing is starting to show Liverpool fans the kind of form that has so far won him 34 England caps. The winger has been highly effective on the flank for Brendan Rogers and has so far delivered 37 crosses and compiled 4 assists.