Wigan v Everton, Saturday 15:00
– 10-man Wigan fell to a 1-0 defeat away to Sunderland last weekend. The visitors enjoyed a strong opening spell at the Stadium of Light, with Arouna Kone and James McCarthy both going close, but struggled somewhat in the second half following Jordi Gomez’s dismissal.
– James McCarthy ran further than any other player on the pitch against Sunderland, racking up 6.6 miles. That’s also a season high for any Wigan player so far.
– Striker Arouna Kone has shown plenty of confidence in taking the game to the opposition this season. His 9 dribbles have ranked him fifth on the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index.
– Jean Beausejour was the fastest player on the day from either side last time out against Sunderland, with the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index recording him at 23.25mph.
– Beausejour’s record for deliveries will also be pleasing Roberto Martinez. The Chilean is ranked fourth on the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index for crosses with 22.
– Jordi Gomez will be disappointed with his dismissal last weekend, particularly given his disciplinary record has been solid this season. He’s yet to receive a yellow card and has conceded only 2 fouls.
– Everton continued their spectacular start to the season as they dismantled Southampton 3-1 at Goodison Park. Two goals from the prolific Nikica Jelavic and one from Leon Osman secured victory for David Moye’s team against the Premier League newcomers, with Kevin Mirallas providing assists for two of his side’s goals.
– Phil Neville turned in a captain’s performance last weekend against Southampton as he ran for a team-leading 5.56 miles.
– Midfielder Marouane Fellaini continues to hold the unwelcome distinction of having committed more fouls than any other Premier League player this season according to the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index. He will be hoping his 17 indiscretions aren’t added to this weekend.
– However, the Belgian can likely have no complaints if his foul total continues to rise given the inconsistency of his tackling. He ranks first of any Premier League player for tackles lost, have lost out on 77% of his 30 tackles this season.
– The continually impressive Kevin Mirallas was the fastest player on the park against Southampton. The EA SPORTS Player Performance Index clocked him at 23.15mph. That was the third fastest time registered in the Premier League all season, and makes Mirallas the only player to enter the top ten speeds from last weekend’s games.
– No Premier League player has provided more crosses than Leighton Baines this season. The Toffee’s fullback has been in excellent form down the flank, providing 33 deliveries according to the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index.