Manchester United have chosen to offer no comments on reports that they have contacted Jose Mourinho agents over his availability for the managerial job at Old Trafford.
Last week reports emerged that United were ready to bring Mourinho to succeed Louis van Gaal as United manager in the summer.
Van Gaal has a year remaining on his contract after this season, in which he has attracted considerable criticism for defensive, slow and possession-based style he has brought to United.
It has been reported that United bosses were indeed intimidated after rivals Manchester City announced that Bayern Munich former Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola will become their manager in the summer.
When asked about the latest link of Mourinho with van Gaal’s job, United offered no response to the reports. Meanwhile, United boss Louis van Gaal has dismissed the Mourinho reports and has hit out at the media for writing “nonsense” stories concerning his future at Old Trafford.
Ahead of their Premier League fixture against Chelsea on Sunday, the Dutchman man said: “The last two months have been very difficult for my wife, my kids, my grandchildren and my friends to cope with.”
“For me too, but I can cope. In the Netherlands they know I am too arrogant to doubt myself, but I also know that such a nonsense is being created about me. I do not believe that there is already a relationship between Jose Mourinho and Manchester United.”
United are currently struggling to qualify for next season’s Champions League, but van Gaal has remained determined that his men are ready to reclaim their reputation in EPL.
He defended himself by saying that he had to make some tough calls when he arrived at Old Trafford.
“If you look at the selection now to the one I took over there is no comparison,” he said. “When I came in there were eight or 10 players over the age of 30.”
“I had to move some out, and people said I was wrong, but in the last 18 months players like Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic have retired. They are not playing football anymore.”
The Dutchman’s job security has been the topic of discussion among fans and the media. And he has gone further to dismiss speculation that he has hired security for his family in the event of increasing dissent from United’s supporters.
“It is logical when you have lost four matches in a row, people are bound to be doubting,” he said.
“I criticise the media for inventing stories. I never hired security. Never ever. And I am walking on the streets without security and all the people I meet are very positive.”