£50.4m Release Clause Triggered Man United Arrives For Medical Almost Done

The only team with a 100 per cent record so far in the English Premier League, Manchester City are on the verge of sealing a deal to lure Chelsea reject Kevin De Bruyne lure the Etihad, according to reports. City have had a perfect start to their Premier League campaign and as such sent a clear statement of intent they want the title this season. The Citizens whitewashed West Bromwich Albion 3-0 in their first game of the season, humiliated Chelsea in their second match, and yesterday Manuel Pellegrini’s side handed Everton another defeat, maintaining their position at the top of the table.

City have invested largely this summer after committing a mega £49m to sign Raheem Sterling from Liverpool, £35m to lure Nicolas Otamendi from Valencia, and also the signings of former Aston Villa captain Fabian Delph and Patrick Roberts also from Balckburn Rovers. The Etihad Landlords are however not done yet as Wolfsburg attacking midfielder De Bruyne will soon be wearing the light Blues shirt of the club..

The Citizens broke their own transfer record by coughing up £49m to sign Sterling earlier in the summer, and they are on the verge of breaking that record once more as they have reportedly paid £50.4m the Bundesliga side for De Bruyne’s services. The Belgian is now expected in Manchester in the coming days to undergo a medical and complete the move.

Sky Germany understand Man City are finalising the deal for De Bruyne and the 24-year old could be in England on Tuesday to complete the move. Monday had been billed for the announcement of the transfer, but it was deemed too soon due to the complex nature of the agreement.

The Belgium international trained with Wolfsburg on Friday and played the full 90 minutes in the 1-1 draw with Cologne on Saturday.

De Bruyne who spent an unsuccessful two years at Chelsea before switching to Wolfsburg in January 2014, had revealed in June that a Premier League return for him could happen, and he confirmed his agents have been in informal talks with City chiefs.

City manager Manuel Pellegrini was asked about the transfer and he gave a reply similar to the one he said before Otamendi’s capture.

“I don’t talk about rumours. I have to talk about so many players, it’s impossible. When things are finished then I can talk about them,” the Chilean said.

“The window closes on 1 September. Before that, nobody knows what happens.”

Wolfsburg have previously rejected City’s £47m initial offer for De Bruyne, but when the second one came in the club hierarchy decided to let the player leave. Sky Sports revealed that the bid was submitted last week and was agreed by the Bundesliga club, but they somehow lured De Bruyne into saying he was staying at Wolfsburg.

The Belgium international – who featured 51 times for Wolfsburg last season, scoring 16 goals and providing no fewer than 28 assists – is now expected to form an attacking partnership with David Silva and Raheem Sterling in the City XI.

Scroll to top