Southampton v QPR, Saturday 15:00
– Southampton remain three points clear of the relegation zone, despite a 4-2 defeat at the hands of Newcastle in their last game.
– Morgan Schneiderlin and Rickie Lambert were both on target despite the Saints leaving St James’ Park without a point.
– Lambert’s Premier League goals for the season now count 12, coming from 65 shots at goal with an accuracy rating of 49.2%. Of the 18 players in the Premier League to have scored 10 or more goals this season, Lambert is the only one to have done so while getting less than half his shots on target.
– Lambert is also ranked 7th among the Premier League strikers for passes completed in the opposition half, having completed 407 so far this season.
– As well as having scored four goals in the Barclays Premier League this season, Schneiderlin is one of three players to have attempted 100 or more tackles. He has now attempted 102 tackles, winning 56.8% of them.
– Team mate Nathaniel Clyne has also thrown himself into the tackle on his step up to the Premier League from the Championship. Clyne is ranked 23rd for tackles attempted with 76. His most impressive stat, however, is the percentage of tackles he then wins. Clyne wins the ball from 73.6% of tackles, the second best among the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index’s most prolific tacklers.
– QPR remain six points adrift at the bottom of the table after suffering a 2-0 defeat at the hands of league leaders Manchester United. Despite the scoreline, QPR threatened on occasion with Loic Remy and Christopher Samba both going close.
– QPR’s threat in the game is clear when you consider they forced Nemanja Vidic to be the busiest defender in the Barclays Premier League last weekend, making 27 defensive contributions in total across tackles won, interceptions and clearances.
– Fabio da Silva sat out the game, but watched his twin brother score one of the goals of the season for Manchester United against his team. Fabio has one 62.1% of his tackles this season, and also made 34 interceptions, averaging 14 minutes 42 seconds per defensive contribution
– Adel Taraabt continues to show his undoubted talent this season. No player has completed more dribbles, with Taraabt leading the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index with a defence terrifying 42 successful runs with the ball.