Everton v West Ham, 15:00
– Everton competed in a toughly fought Merseyside derby on Sunday which ended 0-0. They now face West Ham after a tumultuous week which saw manager David Moyes confirmed as the new Manchester United manager.
– As well as having a goal disallowed against Liverpool, Sylvain Distin made five clearances, the joint highest in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index for the last round of games.
– Distin is not the only Everton player who can feel aggrieved at not having a healthier goal tally this season. Kevin Mirallas has the best shots on target percentage of the players in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index who have had 50 or more shots at goal in total. He’s had 61 shots at goal with 73.7% on target, but has had a return of just four goals.
– Phil Jagielka has been a key component in Everton’s back line this season, attempting 72 tackles and winning 84.7% of them, while averaging 6.54 tackles per foul.
– Leighton Baines has been one of Everton, and the Premier League’s star performers this season and has been linked with following his manager to Manchester United. Baines has delivered 137 crosses this season, the second highest in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index, and completed 821 passes in the opposition half, the most by a defender.
– West Ham are also coming into the game on the back of a goalless draw, theirs against Newcastle.
– Winston Reid has emerged as a key player for West Ham this season, and against Newcastle he made 20 interceptions, the second highest by a West Ham player in a single game this season. The only West Ham player to rate higher in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index is James Tomkins for making 22 interceptions, again against Newcastle, in November.
– Joey O’Brien is West Ham’s top ranked player in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index this season, in 57th place overall. The Republic of Ireland defender has won 61.8% of 76 tackles attempted this season and also made 78 interceptions.
– O’Brien’s just ahead of Jussi Jaaskelainen in the Index, who is West Ham’s next ranked player and has been the 6th busiest goalkeeper in the Premier League making 184 saves.