Red Bulls finally lose, LA Galaxy finally win and Atlanta go joint top of the Eastern Conference

NYC FC v Montreal

In cold conditions, New York City and Montreal played out a 1-1 draw at the Yankee Stadium. It took until the 43rd minute for the deadlock to be broken and it was NYC who scored first after a scramble in the Montreal goal with Rodney Wallace squeezing the ball into the net. It was Wallace’s second goal in two games.

The Impact tried to hit back straight away, Ignacio Piatti curling the ball past Sean Johnson, only to be denied by the post. NYC went into half time with a 1-0 lead.

With the second half in full swing Maxi Moralez had a great chance to score but somehow put the ball wide, when scoring seemed an easier option. It was to be a costly miss, as three minutes later Dominic Oduro scored after a lovely pass over the top of the defence set up the Ghanaian to score. The Impact goal was against the run of play, giving them a 1-1 draw.

Atlanta United v Chicago

Atlanta beat Chicago 4-0 in front of a sell-out crowd at the Bobby Dodd Stadium. It took Atlanta 4 minutes before they took the lead, Julian Gressel crossing low from the right, with the ball being deflected into the Chicago net. The goal went down, rightly, as an own goal. Things went from bad to worse for the Fire on 11 minutes, Joao Meira sent off for a tug back on Josef Martinez. It seemed a harsh decision when perhaps a yellow card would have been sufficient. The Fire held out well, being only a goal down until the 60th minute. A fantastic through ball was picked out by Miguel Almiron, finding Martinez, who took the ball round the keeper before slotting home.
Seven minutes later it was 3-0, this time Tito Villalba smashing the ball left footed into the net from 12 yards out. The rout was completed on 82 minutes, Yami Asad finding Martinez in the area. His first touch was excellent as it took him past the goal keeper and he scored from a difficult angle. Martinez was superb all match and currently the Venezuelan leads the goalscoring charts with 5 goals. Atlanta are joint top of the Eastern Conference with Orlando and New York Red Bulls.

Orlando v Philadelphia

Orlando beat Philadelphia 2-1 with at a packed-out Orlando City Stadium to win their second consecutive game. Orlando almost took the lead after 19 minutes when Oguchi Onyewu struggled with a high ball into the box and could only head the ball towards his own goal. Luckily for Onyewu, the ball cannoned off the bar before going clear.
The Lions finally scored in the 39th minute after some good work by Carlos Rivas on the left, who crossed low for a simple tap in for Cyle Larin to score. The Union got back to level terms with CJ Sapong heading the ball down and into the net. Then, on 73 minutes, a lovely through ball from Perez Garcia sent Larin through on goal who kept his composure to slot home under the keeper for his third goal of the season. With the game deep into injury time Ilsinho hit the inside of the post. The ball bounced clear and was crossed into the box, only for Joe Bendik to pull off a point blank save from a header from Alejandro Bedoya. The post and Bendik secured an Orlando 2-1 win.

Vancouver v Toronto FC

10 men Vancouver Whitecaps lost 2-0 to Toronto FC after two second half goals. After a non-de script first half, the first real chance fell to Justin Morrow who struck a beautiful left foot shot from the outside of his left foot, which was pushed past the post by Vancouver keeper Spencer Richey. Richey was making his debut for the Whitecaps.
The Whitecaps put themselves under more pressure on 70 minutes when Brek Shea received a yellow card, only to show dissent immediately after and receive a second yellow and a long walk back to the changing room. The extra man told for The Reds who went 1-0 up on 76 minutes. Raheem Edwards crossed from the left, Jozy Altidore headed the ball back into the six-yard area for Victor Vasquez to head home. Four minutes later it was 2-0 and game over, Altidore with an excellent turn and finish on the edge of the box sealing the win for Toronto FC in a heated game against their Canadian rivals.

DC United v Columbus

DC United recorded a 2-0 loss to Columbus Crew at the RFK Stadium. The Crew looked the most likely to score with United’s keeper Bill Hamid pulling off some good saves to keep the scores level. However, on 38 minutes Ola Kamara was brought down in the area. Frederico Higuain slotted home from the residing penalty kick. It was no more than the Crew deserved. The second half continued much the way of the first. This time on 66 minutes another penalty was given and once again Kamara was brought down in the box. Kamara stepped up to score to put Columbus Crew 2-0 up. It was Kamara’s 18th goal in 28 MLS matches since joining the club in 2016. DC United attempted to get back into the match as they pushed almost everyone into attack but it was to no avail. The game finished with a 2-0 win to the Crew. United are still without a win so far this season.

FC Dallas v New England

FC Dallas picked up their second win of the season as they beat New England Revolution 2-1 at the Toyota Stadium. It was New England who took the lead in the 10th minute from the penalty spot after Christian Colman had pulled down Antonio Delamea from a corner kick. Midfielder Lee Nguyen converted from the spot. The Revolution almost went 2-0 up two minutes later after an excellent run and shot from Kei Kamara which FC Dallas goal keeper Chris Seitz saved well. Dallas sparked into life, as they continued to ask questions of the Revolution defence. Finally they equalised in the 71st minute. A long ball by defender Maynor Figueroa found Michael Barrios who’s shot was well saved by Cody Cropper in the New England goal. The ball fell to Maxi Urruti who rifled the ball into the net. Six minutes later, Urruti put pressure on the Revolution defence and forced an error from Benjamin Angoua. Urruti still had a lot to do, yet he hammered the ball into the roof of the net at the near post from an acute angle to take all three points.

Colorado v Minnesota United

Both teams played out an entertaining 2-2 draw at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park. Colorado took the lead in the 17th minute, Dominique Badji pouncing on a defensive mistake for Minnesota before slotting past Bobby Shuttleworth. The Rapids deserved their first half lead, yet things changed five minutes into the second half. Mekeil Williams brought down Collen Warner in the area leaving the referee with no option but to point to the spot. Kevin Molino scored from 12 yards. Eight minutes later The Loons scored again. A great cross from Jerome Thiessen was glanced past Tim Howard by Christian Ramirez. Minnesota had fought back to take a 2-1 lead. However, the celebrations were short lived as a minute later Colorado had equalized. Marc Burch sent over a deep cross from the left onto the head of Marlon Hairston who draw the game level. Despite chances for the Rapids they were unable to score, with the game finishing all-square. The Rapids are still unbeaten at home in a regular season, now stretching to 19 games.

Portland v Houston

Portland Timbers won their third consecutive match beating Houston Dynamo 4-2 at the Providence Park in front of a sell-out crowd. The Timbers got off to a great start after 11 minutes after a harsh penalty for handball by DeMarcus Beasley. The spot kick was scored by Diego Valeri, who blasted it straight down the middle. The Dynamo hit back just before half time, as they scored two goals in quick succession. The first came on 38 minutes, from another penalty given for handball which Erick Torres converted before forward Romell Quioto made it 2-1 on the stroke of half time. The second half started well for Portland who hit back on 57 minutes. An inviting cross from the left back Zarek Valentin found the head of Valeri who headed past the keeper into the back of the net. The Timbers finally took the lead after immense pressure on the Houston defence. David Guzman put the ball into the goal after dribbling around the keeper. The win was sealed after Fanendo Adi scored, after jinking left then right before making space for himself before firing into the bottom corner. Adi has scored in seven consecutive home matches for the Timbers who are top of the Western Conference.

Sporting KC v San Jose

Kansas beat San Jose 2-1 in front of a sold-out Children’s Mercy Park. The game finally came to life in the 37 minute after a stunning strike from Benny Feilhaber put the Wizards 1-0 up. Kansas’ second goal came in the 89th minute. A weak shot from substitute Soony Saad that was heading wide looked a routine pick up for goalkeeper David Bingham. Somehow the keeper managed to comically scoop the ball in between his legs and into the goal. The Earthquakes staged a late fight back and scored a consolation goal in the 91st minute. A long free kick was chested down by Danny Hoesen for Florian Jungwirth to hook home. A minute later another great chance came for San Jose. Simon Dawkins hit a low shot which was excellently saved by Tim Melia, sealing the 2-1 win for Kansas.

Real Salt Lake v LA Galaxy

LA Galaxy beat ten-man Real Salt Lake 2-1 at the Rio Tinto Stadium. It was RSL who took the lead. Albert Rusnak whipped in a right foot cross onto the head of Yura Movsisyan to powerfully head home. RSL made it hard on themselves as midfielder Kyle Beckerman was sent off for a second bookable offence just before half time.
With the second half turning into a tactical battle, it took until the 70th minute for Galaxy to draw level. David Romney hammered a left foot volley into the net from a corner from Romain Alessandrini. San Jose had a great chance to retake the lead but, with the goal gaping, Chad Barrett somehow managed to put the ball wide. Galaxy then had a chance to go into the lead on 73 minutes. An excellent cross was met powerfully on the head of Jermaine Jones, only for RSL keeper Nick Rimando to pull off a fantastic save on his goal line. A minute later Rimando was beaten, Alessandrini crossing low for Emmanuel Boateng to slot home on the far post. The Galaxy finally won their first match of the season.

Seattle v NY Red Bulls

A comprehensive victory for the Sounders as they beat the Red Bull’s 3-1 at CenturyLink Field in Seattle. Clint Dempsey opened the scoring on 28 minutes as he scored from the spot. The Red Bulls equalised in the second half with prolific goal scorer Bradley Wright Phillips heading in after a cross from the right. Seattle went on the attack and got their reward on 66 minutes. Seattle created some great play on the left, including a nutmeg by Joevin Jones in the build-up, before the ball was crossed in for Jordan Morris to head home completely unmarked in the six-yard box. The win was sealed in the 79th minute as Harry Shipp deflected in left back Jones’ long range effort. It was a fantastic result for the Sounders, having put a stop to The Red Bulls unbeaten streak in a regular season where they’d won their last 18 matches.

Scroll to top